There are countless castle hotels in Ireland, but few are as widely coveted as a place that lies at the heart of Ireland’s midlands.
Few have also housed yer man Kanye West and yer wan Kim Kardashian, but we’ll get to that in a bit.
Quick facts for those of you stuck for time!
- The hotel in question is called Ballyfin Demense
- You’ll find this fancy aul shpot in County Laois
- It was recently listed on the Condé Nast Travelers -2019 Gold list of the best hotels and resorts in the world
- KimYe (still not sure if that’s actually a thing) stayed here in 2014 during their honeymoon
Set at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains in County Laois lies a 5 star hotel that has charmed many a wealthy traveller.
Long been admired as the most lavish castle dwelling in Ireland, Ballyfin boasts an immensely impressive exterior and interior for those looking for the perfect cocktail of privacy and luxury.
The castle went under a lengthy eight years of restoration to bring it up to a the standard of a 5 star country house hotel, and reopened in 2011.
Since then, it’s been racking up awards like no ones business.
It’s alllllll kinds of fancy
Ballyfin boasts a modest twenty rooms on its 614 acre estate
But if you feel like splashing out, you can rent the entire place
And pretend like you’ve dived head-first into an episode of Downton Abbey
How much a night at Ballyfin will cost you
If you were to stay on a Friday night in February, it’d cost you a hefty €830 (it’s considerably more depending on the room you choose).
You’re room has a kind bed and a marble fireplace, though…
Where do Kim and Kanye come into it?
Back in 2014 the couple spent time here while they were honeymooning in Ireland.
Thinking about spending your honeymoon here? Here’s a handful of things to do to keep you occupied:
- Drive all around Ireland’s coastline on this 18-day road trip
- Explore the Wild Atlantic Way with this 11-day itinerary
- Spin around Donegal for an unforgettable few nights
- Get lost in West Cork for 4 days (guide here)
- Discover the best of Waterford, or Galway
Have you visited Ballyfin? Let me know in the comments below!