There’s some beautiful places for afternoon tea in Limerick City and beyond.
From magical moments spent munching away in Adare Manor to tasty treats in the cosy surrounds of House, you’ve plenty to choose from.
Below, you’ll find our top picks for 2022, with a mix of pricey and pocket-friendly options. Dive on in!
Where we think does the best afternoon tea in Limerick
The first section of our guide is packed with our favourite places for afternoon tea in Limerick, with the likes of The Savoy and One Pery Square featuring.
Now, although we’ve added in prices, please do keep in mind that these may change, so be sure to check when booking.
1. Adare Manor
Located southwest of Limerick, in the picturesque village of Adare, afternoon tea here will be an experience well beyond your dreams.
The manor is an historic building with a rich history interwoven with the landscape, and this is reflected in the service and afternoon tea menu.
Served in The Gallery, Adare Manor’s grand salon with its delicate china, and hand-polished silverware, your afternoon tea includes; specially blended teas from around the world, an extensive selection of cakes, pastries, and savoury open sandwiches.
- Price per head: €55
- Includes: Selection of teas or coffees, open sandwiches featuring local and regional produce, baked goods, and sweet pastries
- Availability: Monday – Friday, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30pm
- Note: Bookings can be made online for groups of up to 6 people
2. One Pery Square
One Pery Square is another excellent option for afternoon tea in Limerick and it’s served up in the hotels Drawing Room.
The setting boasts its own fireplace and a cosy ambience, where you can relax and enjoy a personalised menu.
Choose from an array of teas, including La Maison Pery tea, Sparkling Tea with La Riva Fratti D.O.C.G. Prosecco, or go all out with a Champagne tea.
To accompany your beverages, you can nibble and nosh your way through scones with jam, butter and cream, a selection of open sandwiches, and sweet pastries.
- Price per head: €32-45, or €15 for children
- Includes: Selection of drinks package, and a range of handcrafted sandwiches and baked goods
- Availability: Saturday and Sunday only, between 1-5pm
- Note: Prices vary according to the package chosen, reservations are essential
3. The Savoy
The very name Savoy conjures up images of luxury, history, and legendary hospitality. The Limerick location encapsulates all of these hallmarks, and with their decadent afternoon tea, served in The Library, you’ll be able to soak in every drop of this intimate ambience.
The tea includes your choice of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate served in the book-lined walls of the library, whilst you settle back into the rich furnishings and nibble your way through classic finger sandwiches, slices of familiar cakes, scones with clotted cream and jams and preserves, along with French pastries.
- Price per head: €30-45, €14 for children
- Includes: Choose from tea or coffee, followed by finger sandwiches, tea cakes, selection of scones, pastries and fancies
- Availability: Served daily, between 12:30-4pm
- Note: A click & collect option is available to enjoy Afternoon Tea as a takeaway
4. House Limerick (update: currently paused)
The vibe is eclectic, with exposed gritty ceilings and rough-cut timber panelling, while dainty lampshades create a cosy ambience. This popular venue, located just by the Limerick boat club and Harvey’s Quay on the River Shannon, is bound to impress with its attention to detail and warm welcome.
The afternoon tea includes a selection of bespoke cocktails, champagne if you like, or of course the traditional tea or coffee.
Paired with your drinks, you take in the spectacular views of the River Shannon as you choose between delicate handmade pastries, macrons, miniature entrees, and various sweet treats all served in House’s Garden and Terrace spaces.
- Price per head: €30+
- Includes: Choice of tea or coffee, and selection of open sandwiches with traditional fillings, cakes, slices, and pastries
- 2022 update: We’ve just spoken with reception and the afternoon tea at house is on hold for the coming months
Other popular places for afternoon tea in Limerick
Now that we have where we think does the best afternoon tea in Limerick out of the way, it’s time to see what else the county has to offer.
Below, you’ll find everywhere from Castle Oaks and the Woodlands Hotel to Castletroy Park and some of the finest restaurants in Limerick.
1. The Radisson
Set amongst the rolling green fields of County Limerick, and only a 15-minute drive from Limerick City, Afternoon Tea at the Radisson is an indulgence; in beauty, tranquillity, and culinary excellence, which is what you’d expect from a 150-year old tradition.
Book your Traditional Afternoon Tea and you’ll be treated to a selection of speciality teas, or opt for an alcoholic upgrade, and sit back in the luxurious setting as your selection of sandwiches and sweet treats is brought to you.
- Price per head: €22.50, or €10 for children
- Includes: Speciality teas, with Prosecco or cocktail upgrade available. Open sandwiches, finger sandwiches, fruit scones with cream and strawberry jams, and other baked treats
- Availability: 1-5:30pm daily
- Note: Children must be accompanied by an adult, booking in advance is essential. Vegan and Gluten-free options are available upon request.
2. Woodlands Hotel
Just the other side of the River Maigue, in the scenic village of Adare, you’ll find Fitzgerald’s Woodlands House – one of our favourite hotels in Limerick.
A careful balance of savoury and sweet treats, including scones with homemade jam, traditional sandwiches, and decadent desserts made from seasonal ingredients awaits you at this afternoon tea.
Many ingredients come from the house garden, or are sourced locally, and each treat is presented on vintage china with your choice of tea. You can indulge a little further with a bubbly upgrade to perfectly complement your experience.
- Price per head: €30, or €38.50 with bubbly
- Includes: Tea, or bubbly upgrade, with a selection of sandwiches, scones, and sweet treats
- Availability: Daily, 12:30-3pm
- Note: Vegan, Dairy-free, Vegetarian, and Gluten-free options are available upon request
3. Castletroy Park
Afternoon tea at Castletroy Park is an experience steeped in comfort, relaxation, and gourmet delights. Settle yourself into the plush velvet sofas and armchairs, listen to the live piano, and unwind as your 4-star afternoon tea is brought to you.
While you soak up the elegant setting, you’ll be able to indulge in house-made pastries, an array of sandwiches, and decadent desserts all presented to you on a triple-tier platter.
Best of all, the bottomless tea, coffee, and nibbles will leave you so relaxed and satisfied that you might decide to stay a little longer.
- Price per head: €29.95 as standard, or €36.95 with Prosecco, €14 for children
- Includes: Selection of tea or coffee, followed by open and finger sandwiches, handmade pastries, scones with jam and cream, and specialty desserts
- Availability: Daily, 1:00-4:00pm
- Note: Advance bookings are strongly advised, via either telephone or online. Vegetarian and vegan menus are also available
4. Castle Oaks Hotel
With spectacular views of the majestic River Shannon, you’ll be swept away by the Castle Oaks Hotel’s country charms, and rural setting in Castleconnell.
Set inside this tastefully renovated and opulent Georgian manor house, you’ll find all the comforts and luxuries you’d expect of a hotel of this class.
Take in the views of the mature gardens as you sip and nibble your way through a selection of teas, or coffee, or even Prosecco if the mood strikes, and sample culinary delights like finger sandwiches, sweet pastries, fruit scones with jam and clotted cream, and decadent cakes.
- Price per head: Standard Afternoon Tea €25, Prosecco Afternoon Tea €30, or mid-week Afternoon Tea for Two €40
- Includes: Tea or coffee, with Prosecco on request, a selection of sandwiches, pastries, cakes, and baked goods
- Availability: Daily, from 2:00-4:30pm, confirm with Castle Oaks
- Note: Minimum of 24-hours notice for bookings. Call or email to book
Afternoon tea Limerick: Where have we missed?
I’ve no doubt that we’ve unintentionally left out some brilliant places to sample afternoon tea in Limerick from the guide above.
If you have a place that you’d like to recommend, let me know in the comments below and I’ll check it out!
FAQs about Limerick’s top afternoon tea
We’ve had a lot of questions over the years asking about everything from ‘Where’s the cheapest?’ to ‘Which is the most extravagant?’.
In the section below, we’ve popped in the most FAQs that we’ve received. If you have a question that we haven’t tackled, ask away in the comments section below.
Where does the best afternoon tea in Limerick?
In our opinion, Adare Manor, One Pery Square and The Savoy are hard to beat in 2022, but all of the places above are worth checking out.
Where does the fanciest afternoon tea in Limerick?
When it comes to extravagance, look no further than the tea served at the lavish five star that is Adare Manor.
Katherine is an food and travel writer with family-roots in Ireland. She enjoys hitting the road at every given opportunity, and can often be found with an atlas and notebook to hand planning the next big trip.